We all think about food at this time of year and rightly so. Food is festive, fun and best of all, it’s SOCIAL. Who doesn’t light up at the scent of roasted potatoes or a pie baking in the oven? It’s joyful, delightful, and entertaining to eat.
So why not indulge, but in a mindful, conscious way? That’s easier said than done, I know. We live in a seductive eating environment, in which we are subconsciously drawn to eat even when we are not hungry. What might help are simple swaps that you can make to help you be more healthful at this time of year and beyond . . .5 Simple & Healthy Food SWAPS for #Thanksgiving #holiday Click To Tweet
Here are 5 of my favorite ways to nourish your body, mind and spirit: a.k.a. your total body! (Check out ways to nourish your total body in my book, Total Body Diet ForDummies!)
1. Add pulses (beans, split peas, chickpeas or lentils) in stuffing for fatty processed meats.
2. Use low-sodium broth for high salt gravy.
3. Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to make coffee festive instead of super sugary coffee drink.
4. Enjoy sparkling water or wine spritzers instead of sugary, high calorie alcoholic beverages.
5. Puree artichoke hearts or roasted red peppers instead of cream-laden spinach dip.
What are your favorite food swaps? I’d love to know.
Happy & healthy Thanksgiving!